(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Aspen Burger

Home/Article/(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Aspen Burger

(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Aspen Burger

Several years ago while I was working at the comic book store, I would occasionally get some food from a place across the street. At the time, the place was called “The No Name Saloon.” It had been several things previous to that, and it’s been several things since. “No Name” was one of those hole-in-the-wall places where the ambiance wasn’t that great, but the food was pretty good. Definitely a “call ahead, run in, get your food, get out” kind of place.

It was here I was introduced to something called the Aspen Burger. That was the only thing I ever got there. It was a 1/4 lb. burger topped with a thick slice of cream cheese and crumbled bacon. That’s it. A hamburger topped with cream cheese and bacon. Appalling, right? No, not because of the lack of additional ingredients. Not because it takes a year off the end of your life just by smelling it. It was appalling because I had never thought of it up until that point.

I’ve done some googling. There are several places out there that have an Aspen Burger. It looks like most of them have blue cheese, mushrooms, or plenty of other interesting toppings. The Beef House in Convington, Ind. is the only place I found that has what I consider to be a true Aspen Burger.

Of course, if you don’t want to make the trek to Indiana (and really, why would you?) you can make one for yourself. It’s simple. I made one for myself just tonight.

By | 2017-03-17T01:04:51+00:00 October 21st, 2007|Categories: Article|Tags: , , |9 Comments

1. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Perhaps they could just relocate. Business would have to be even better at the intersection of two Interstates.

I certainly didn't enjoy my time in Indiana, but it does have a few highpoints. IU has a great campus, Brown County is beautiful, and the Indianapolis Airport is convenient. The Square Donuts are also pretty tasty, but there are even less reasons to swing into Terre Haute than Covington.

2. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

The fortunate thing about The Beef House is that even though it's in Indiana, it's just barely in Indiana. So if you go there, you're not really that deep in enemy territory.

Maybe Illinois could give Danville to Indiana in exchange for Covington.

3. SmallTown February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

going beyond your "why go to Indiana" comment, which you had already answered through your reference to the Beef House, a mecca for serious hossin' on well prepared beef product; I must commend this burger. It's supreme through it's simplicity. and, if motivated, you can make it at home

4. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Yeah…I'd give that a try.

5. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Well, somebody disagrees with you, CT. If we're ever rich enough to be hanging out in Rehoboth Beach, let's go for it.

6. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

The only problem with bacon is that it doesn't go with "anything." I can't imagine bacon and ice cream working that great together.

7. CWill February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Hmmmm…our previous discussion at life group was that cream cheese and possibly bacon were the 2 "can't miss" food additives to any other food. And here they are added together? I must learn more of this Aspen Burger phenomenon with several case studies. Wonder if I brought a slab of cream cheese to Backyard Burger if they'd make one for me.

8. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I only made it to The Beef House once during the 21 years I lived in the nearby area.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again…cream cheese is the perfect food stuff. Try and name one thing that cream cheese doesn't go with.

9. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I meant to make it in for an Aspen Burger in one of those two places, but it never happened. I'll have to go with a DIY version at some point. The sammich has to be great since just about anything is made better by adding cream cheese OR bacon, let alone both.