“We named the blog ‘Indiana!'”

Home/Article/“We named the blog ‘Indiana!'”

“We named the blog ‘Indiana!'”

In the comments section of Jeeg’s chicken post, Fitz pointed out that we’ve overlooked a major nerd event here lately. Indiana Jones returned in his fourth movie adventure. I am a fan of the first and third movies and enjoyed the Young Indy shows for the most part. For some reason, the new movie doesn’t entice me.

Maybe it’s Harrison Ford’s age, but as a fan of the Star Trek movies where the cast had aged considerably throughout the series, I don’t think that’s it. Maybe it’s Shia. I liked him in Even Stevens and thought he was fine in Transformers, but I don’t see him being a suitable successor to Indy. Mostly, I think it’s George Lucas. Having seen what Lucas did with the Star Wars prequels, I just can’t get on the jazz about anything he touches.

I imagine I’ll see it at some point, but quite frankly, I just don’t see a need for another Indy movie in my life. Others have different opinions so Fitz, this post is for you and for any others who want to comment on the movie.

By | 2017-03-17T01:04:03+00:00 June 6th, 2008|Categories: Article|Tags: , , , |8 Comments

1. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Alright…I'll get a Hulk post up.

2. fitz February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Well, my first attempt at a thread didn't go to well. 🙂 I guess now we can talk about "The Hulk" and how it is a sequel. how it isn't. yadda yadda yadda not going to see it in the theatre unless it just rocks like Iron Man.

3. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

It's happened. I'm officially sick of hearing people talk about this movie. There's apparently very little to say about it because everyone says the same stuff over and over again.

4. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Yeah, that first Librarian movie wasn't too bad. Haven't seen the second one yet. I saw there's a third coming, too.

5. fitz February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I thought the movie was 'ok' as well. I mean it was Indian Jones. I know Lucas totally ruined Star Wars with the prequels, but I think it was because he did it alone and no one kept him in check. This time Spielberg was their and I had a little more trust that it wouldn't get ruined. I think they did a good job at making light of his age and I think it was an interesting connection that Henry Jones, Jr. named himself after the dog and his son named himself "Mutt."

I was hoping for something spectacular with this movie. I mean it has been forever; you would think they would have had time to come up with a great script and concept for the movie. However, the movie was just formulaic. The only thing really new was they got to use CGI effects that made it hard to suspend disbelief and I was actually like "Come on! Really?" during some sections of the movie.

I can't remember details about ToD, but comparing it to CS I like it because it was different. It wasn't Indiana Jones gets captured by the Nazi and forced to find an article of power, which is now the plot of three of the four movies, but with Russians in the CS.

I mean I could have watched Noah Wyle in the Librarian movies on TNT and gotten something different and more adventurous than the CS. It was still Indian Jones and it was great to see it on the big screen. It just seemed to me that Lucas wrote a segue movie or an origin story for Shia so they can restart the franchise for a younger audience with . . . . "Mutt Williams and the Search for the All Spark."

6. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I can't stand Temple of Doom. I didn't mind all the stuff at the very beginning with Club Obi-Wan, but after that, the movie stunk. So, it sounds like you're saying I'll not like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Could have gone without being reminded of "Poochie."

7. Court February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

A few minor spoilers ahead…..

I saw it and thought it was just 'ok'. I didn't mind Shia in Transformers because he was supposed to be a whiny kid. In Indy… wow. He was bad. For a taste of how bad he and his character were, his name is 'Mutt' Williams. I felt like I was watching Poochie.

The rest of it was ok. I think my main problem is that I loved Raiders and Last Crusade and didn't like ToD nearly as much. I'm not even sure why but it seems like I'm not alone. This movie felt a lot more like ToD than Raiders or Crusade. That's probably my biggest problem with it.

Overall, it was 'ok'. It was fun to see at the theater just for the size, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people unless they really loved ToD.

8. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Fitz hit the nail on the head. We just happened to get both the first Librarian movie and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull during the same week. Both have flaws, but Quest for the Spear was more interesting on every level.