Doc and the Rock

Home/Article/Doc and the Rock

Doc and the Rock

I loves me some Doc Savage, but I’ve never had the stomach to watch the 1970s movie with Ron Ely. But now Sam Raimi apparently has the rights, along with the Shadow and the Avenger and possibly several other pulp characters, and that Sam Raimi kinda has this superhero movie thing figured out.

Now I have previously suggested that Daniel Cudmore [Colossus] would be good for a youngish Doc, being a great big square-jawed guy . . . but y’know, Dwayne Johnson is great. He’s funny, he can obviously do action, and the camera loves him. And the man needs a franchise. And Doc Savage is potentially a great franchise.

By | 2017-03-17T01:03:21+00:00 September 9th, 2008|Categories: Article|Tags: , , , |6 Comments

1. PLee February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Raimi has such a great eye for character actors, I'm sure he'd fill out the supporting cast appropriately, with cheap and colorful folks.

Most of the guys I have in mind — Danny DiVito as Monk, Brad Garrett as Renny, David Hyde Pierce as Ham, Steve Buscemi as Long Tom — are a good fifteen years too old. But Doug Jones as Johnny, the incredibly skinny big-word-using archeologist, that works.

Yeah, just trim that hairline into a widow's peak, get some gold contact lenses, and put some johdspurs on him, and the Rock is ready to go.

I think Philip Jose Farmer theorized that Doc's bronze skin was really because he was of mixed race — his mother was from the lost Central American tribe that later funded Doc's operations with his gold. That would actually be a nice touch, and a nice acknowledgment of the Rock's own diverse ancestry.

2. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Doom was dreadful.

You feel about The Rock the way I feel about Bruce Campbell. I've watched a fair amount of lousy stuff just because it had Bruce.

That said, Bruce Campbell should play one of the Fabulous Five in this movie. And Nathan Fillion should have a part, too.

3. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

As they say in the wrestling business, I'm a complete mark for The Rock. The guy has enough charisma that I'd plunk down money to watch him play solitaire. And that's almost what watching Doom was like, so it was lucky for the folks over at Universal.

All that being said, he does seem to need a franchise or a signature role. If not Doc, the long rumored King Kamehameha flick could be a winner for Dwayne.

4. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

If they ever do this movie, I hope they do it as a period piece rather than a modern-day interpretation of the story.

As I recall, DC Comics did a modernized version in the late 80s. Never read it, but it didn't seem like Doc to me. I'd be curious to track that series down now though and check it out.

5. PLee February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Stephen Baldwin is greatly inferior to Alec, isn't he? I used to enjoy him on "The Young Riders" with yer man Josh Brolin.

Sommers is doing Tarzan, I hear. Coulda been worse.

Hmmm . . . no one else springs to mind as being Doc-suitable, but then a year ago, I would've deemed John Favareu an odd choice to direct Iron Man.

Peter Berg, who directed the Rock in "The Rundown," is supposedly attached to Bran Mak Morn, based on an obscure Robert E. Howard character, and he he did "Hancock" this summer (eewww), which suggests he digs the pulp/superhero stuff. Excellent action director. Guest starred on "Alias" so maybe he could get Jennifer Garner as Patricia Savage (although they really need someone about 10 years younger than Doc, to get that feisty kid sister vibe going).

6. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

The Ron Ely flick is like the 60s Batman series. Incredibly faithful in so many ways to the source material, yet doesn't quite treat the material seriously enough.

I much prefer the idea of The Rock as Doc over the rumor from eight or nine years ago saying Arnie was up for Doc.

I'm not sure if Raimi will ever direct something like this though. Apparently he's got Spidey 4 & 5 in the works. Not sure I can think of a suitable alternative off the top of my head other than the Sky Captain team.

I can give a list of directors I don't want to see do it:

Stephen Norrington (LXG)
    Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Van Helsing)
    Stephen Baldwin (inferior Baldwin brother)