(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Triple Whopper

Home/Article/(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Triple Whopper

(Nerd) Lunch Special: The Triple Whopper

I’ve heard about them, but had never seen one in person until today.

Years ago, when Jeeg and I were in college, we would run to the nearby Burger King and grab a bag full of 99 cent Whoppers. The two of us would have sick eating contests where we could see how much we could consume in one sitting. On one occasion, I ate three Whoppers, fries and a shake. So, in that sense, I’ve had the components of a Triple Whopper, but I’ve never actually eaten a Triple Whopper. Eating three Whoppers is different than eating a Triple Whopper. The flame-broiled patties to bun ratio is vastly different and would seem to offer an even more satisfying meal in spite of it actually being less food. (At least, that’s the way it was with the Wendy’s Triple which I have had.)

But eating like that is a thing of the past. Or should be. In the past three years, I’ve slimmed down considerably from where I once was and have plenty more I can and should get rid of. I know it’s not good for me to eat a Triple Whopper so when I visit a Burger King, I don’t even acknowledge that it’s on the menu. I put that out of my mind.

That said, if I’m in the same room with a Triple Whopper, it’s hard not to think about eating one. Even if I shouldn’t eat a Triple Whopper, does that mean I can’t appreciate the beauty of one? I don’t know. I guess it’s about willpower, not taking things too far and stuff like that. When my coworker Shannon mistakenly ordered* a Triple Whopper today and brought it to the office, I had to save this rare (er…well, actually flame-broiled) moment for posterity.

* Shannon said I could post these photos as long as I was clear in saying that she did not actually eat this Triple Whopper. When visiting Burger King today, she was distracted by the transvestite working behind the counter who took her order. Flustered by his (I guess?) admiration of the boots she was wearing, Shannon quickly looked up and ordered a “Number three.” Unfortunately, she did not look at the menu close enough and ordered a Triple Whopper meal instead of the Whopper, Jr. meal.

Distracted by Shannon’s boots, the worker did not bat an eyelash (and it is my understanding he had some pretty ones to bat) at her order. It was when her order was called that Shannon discovered a “Number three” was in fact the Triple Whopper meal. Realizing that the mistake was hers, she graciously took her meal and came to work. Upon which, she was generous enough to pose with her 3/4 pound burger for some pictures. In the end, she discarded two of the patties and had a regular Whopper. (Yes, discarded. They were offered to me and I turned them down! Willpower, that’s what I’m talking about!)

By | 2017-03-17T01:03:20+00:00 October 28th, 2008|Categories: Article|Tags: , , , |10 Comments

1. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Or the reverse. If they ever make a movie about our office, Allison Mack can play the part of Shannon.

2. BILL WIIST February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

They don't look as much alike there, but if they ever make Smallville into a movie I think they could easily cast Shannon to play Allison Mack's part.

3. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I seem to recall eating a Classic Triple in Dave's honor as well. Not sure though. Jeeg, did we make that trip together?

I guess Shannon and Allison Mack do look a bit alike in these shots. She had a bit part in a recent freelance video project of mine. Think she looks like Chloe in this video?

4. BILL WIIST February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

I've never had a BK Triple, but I did have the Wendy's Triple meal when Dave died.

BTW, you work with the actress who plays CHLOE SULLIVAN on Smallville?!?!

5. Carlin February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

These guys do a review comparing the Wendy's Classic Triple and the BK Triple Whopper. I think that if I were going to participate in some sort of gorgefest like this again (and I'd be kidding myself if I said I wouldn't), I'd go back to the Wendy's Classic Triple.

That is, if a Culver's wasn't nearby. I miss Culvers.

6. Jeeg February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

For as much Burger King as I've eaten in my life, it's shocking that I've never had a Triple Whopper either. I should probably rectify that soon and cross the Culver's Deluxe Triple off my list too.

7. B-Nab February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Can you imagine the blunders that would have ensued had she gone to BK wearing her knee-high argyle strocks from yesterday?! Oh, and I woulda eaten the triple and been proud. Dead by heart attack, but proud.

Carlin, can you make the shirt with you three boys on it available as a girlie tee?

8. Anonymous February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Wow. Now THAT'S funny.

(BTW, you WERE aware that today was FREE taco day at Taco Bell, weren't you???)

9. CT February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Hi Katie,

Feel free to use it. And let us know once your story is up. We'd love to check it out!

CT

10. Katie Owen February 23, 2017 at 4:00 am - Reply

Hey @Nerdlunch,

I work for She Knows TV and we stumbled upon your Triple Whopper blog. We are currently writing about fast food, and one of the items is about the Triple Whopper. Would it be okay if we used your photo (if we linked back to your blog?)

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Katie Owen