The Mighty Invaders

Home/Article/The Mighty Invaders

The Mighty Invaders

Word on the street is that “Captain America: The First Avenger” will have a big role for Cap’s WWII allies, the Invaders.

In the 1970s, Marvel writer and Golden Age fanboy supreme Roy Thomas decided to pull a major retcon and say that Cap, Namor, and the android Human Torch (along with various sidekicks and later additions) had been a team in WWII. But if you’re reading Nerd Lunch, you probably knew that.

But you just can’t use the classic Invaders. Bucky is fine, and even necessary, and is a confirmed cast member. But the Torch? Aside from the fact that Chris Evans already played a different Torch in a couple of movies, Torch is problematic because he requires some explaining. We’ve been following Cap up until this point in the movie — regular guy, super-solider serum, etc. — and then all of a sudden there’s an android, so perfect he can pass for human, and he can fly and shoot fireballs?

And Namor is even tougher. He’s flying underwater Spock in a green swimsuit, with wings on his feet. You can’t just drop this guy into the middle of this movie without radically shifting the tone of the piece.

So I figure, let’s use characters that fit in better, that make the cast more international (gotta sell this movie overseas), and/or that open the way to spinoffs. Union Jack (the Brit Cap), his sister Spitfire (speedster, but more like 70 MPH than the Flash), the Mighty Destroyer (sort of a behind-enemy-lines proto-Punisher) . . . and Batroc the Leaper, master of savate. In the comics, he’s a contemporary character, and a baddie, but having a savate guy running around kicking Nazis in the head needs to happen.

By | 2017-03-17T01:00:46+00:00 June 14th, 2010|Categories: Article|Tags: , , |8 Comments

1. PLee February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

It's all about the delivery, Christian. Getting flash-frozen in 1945 and then thawed out in 2011 has potential for both comedy and drama.

I always thought the scene in "Austin Powers" where he silently watches 25 years of news footage and realizes how much the world has changed was oddly touching.

2. Christian February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I can only hope that they hold back on the "boy is the future crazy!" moments. I don't want a scene where he acclimates himself to the present by watching game shows & Lady Gaga videos all day or scratches his head in confusion when someone drives by on a Segway. I know it's going to happen I just hope the rein it in a little. I'm way off topic here aren't I? I'll stop right here.

3. PLee February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I really want Marvel to structure the Cap movie to allow him a full WWII career before he gets frozen. Show the origin and have most of the first movie take place in late 41-early 42. Do a little epilogue in 1945 and show Cap lost in the ocean. Thaw him out in the Avengers movie.

I realize that Marvel is unlikely to do a Cap sequel movie set in the 1940s — there's just too much good material with having him in the present — but I like keeping that door open, and for Cap to achieve "living legend" status, he really needs that whole war experience.

4. Carlin February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

The context of the movies is different than that of the comics. The X-Men can go to space and fight dinosaurs on a lost island in the comics. But if they had tried telling the original Dark Phoenix saga in X-Men 3 the way it was done in the comics, there's no way they could have gotten away with it.

That's one of my (many) problems with Spidey 3 and the introduction of Venom. Spidey 1 and 2 didn't set up a universe that lent itself to the introduction of an alien symbiote. Or Sandman for that matter.

That said, Namor is actually one of my favorite Marvel characters and I'd like to leave open the possibility that he exists in the "Marvel movieverse," but I don't need to see him in the Cap movie.

Bob brings up some interesting points about seeing Cap in a leadership role. I still would rather not see the Invaders play a large part in this movie. Maybe Cap proves himself over the course of the film and he's given this team to lead for the movie's big final battle. Ultimately, most of them die or are presumed dead, but the mission is a success and Cap's legacy is legendary because of what they achieved.

5. PLee February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

It's a matter of verisimilitude and suspension of disbelief. Asking an audience to accept a WWII super-soldier program and some similarly low-powered mystery men is one thing . . .

. . . but you cannot casually introduce either the King of Atlantis, or a flying, flaming android. Those are pretty far-out concepts, and they require some time and some explanation. Better, I think, if Captain America is not only the "First Avenger" but the first full-fledged superhero of this continuity.

Also . . . having a black Nick Fury in WWII sets up something pretty cool — a la "The Truth" miniseries and the Ultimate Nick Fury backstory, black soldiers were used as test subjects for the super soldier serum.

Didn't work (or so the government says), but Sgt. Nick Fury (only black NCO leading an integrated unit in WWII) was one of the subjects, and 70 years later, he's only aged 20 years or so.

A parallel program has continued to the present day, using convicts . . . giving rise to Luke Cage, Hero for Hire.

6. Bob February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I would like to see the Invaders or some other team in the Cap movie, since having a team reinforces one of the things that really makes Cap what he is. I just put up my full response here.

7. Christian February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I like the idea of Namor being in the Cap movie. He would be a prime example of how the world has changed since he's been frozen in that big block of ice. Fighting alongside Cap in WWII & now being some kind of underwater despot or evil villain, jaded by the world. He should obviously not be figured prominently in the film but I like the idea of him being there. I would have to agree, his appearance may be a little difficult to bring the "cool" factor to the screen. Maybe use his black costume with the wings? Hmm…maybe not.

8. Carlin February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Personally, I hope the Invaders are downplayed in the Cap movie. This is Cap's movie and I'd rather not see him diluted in what should be his solo movie. Otherwise he'll be going from one team movie to another without getting a chance to shine on his own.

That said, I agree that if they are going to be included, your take on them is the way to go. Although, maybe they hint that this is a subgroup of a larger team and that leaves the door open for at least Namor to show up in a later movie.