(Nerd) Lunch Special: Mountain Dew Throwback

Home/Article/(Nerd) Lunch Special: Mountain Dew Throwback

(Nerd) Lunch Special: Mountain Dew Throwback

Now with real hillbilly action! Back in early summer, CT expressed his disappointment in the new Mountain Dew flavors which were part of the Dewmocracy  campaign. Another gimmick from our friends at Pepsi is the Throwback line of vintage formulas. Mountain Dew Throwback replaces the extreme sports branding with original hillbilly styling and the high fructose corn syrup with sugar.

It took forever for Throwback products to show up on the shelves of my local mega-mart, but I grabbed a 12 pack of Dew as soon as they did. My curiosity has been building about old school formulas, given all the raves I have heard about Kosher Coke and Dublin Dr. Pepper. I was almost expecting some sort of transcendent pop (yes, that’s what we call it in Illinois) experience, but sadly I had my hopes set too high. The citrusy flavor of the Throwback seemed slightly muted compared to conventional Dew, but other than that I could not detect any difference. Both Dews are tasty, radioactive green, and go down smooth. Perhaps my palate has been ruined by growing up in the Midwest during the corn syrup era or perhaps this “real sugar” retro craze of overhyped. Either way, I’ll be saving the 50% price premium and sticking with the 21st century Dew that I grew up with.

By | 2017-03-17T02:54:11+00:00 October 12th, 2010|Categories: Article|Tags: , , |6 Comments

1. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Jack, you're obviously a man with great taste in made-up TV shows.

Thanks for throwing in with us and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

2. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

My pleasure, CT, and I did decide to follow. You guys just have too much going on. I came back this morning and read one of your older posts about how it's great business to paint your naked body and go to a football game in the snow, but if you wear a Klingon uniform to a convention, somehow THAT makes you a loser . . . Yeah, right! I also voted for Roswell Street. I love a story where one main character is dead serious, and the other is like, "You can't be serious!" Anyway, great stuff, and I'll be tagging along for a while. A long while, unless your collective sense of humor changes dramatically!

3. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hi Jack! Glad you found the blog. Nice to know the "Next Blog" button gets us traffic from time to time. Usually when I click that button, I either stumble upon a Twilight blog or a blog in a language I can't read.

The "Exxon Principle" is another great name for that whole theory of "we know it could be better, but at least it's not worse."

Thanks for stopping by!

4. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey, guys. Nice job. I discovered this by clicking "next blog," and while I haven't decided whether to follow yet, I will drop in from time to time. The subject matter is entertaining, the writing is witty and insightful, and I love the Lazenby Effect! I've always referred to that as the Exxon Principle, as that's how the gougers raise gas prices: it's $2.50, they jack it up to $3.00 for two weeks, then when they drop it back to $2.75, we're dancing in the streets. Anyway, well done, and thanks for the smile!

5. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Preach it, sister.

I'll never forget the looks of complete befuddlement I received in Wisconsin and near St. Louis when I asked for a pop. Probably the same look I had the first time a southerner asked me "what kind of cokes" I wanted.

6. Janay February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Pop! I get such weird looks when I say that word down here. But I refuse to change. That's what it is.