(Nerd) Lunch Special: Sun Drop

Home/Article/(Nerd) Lunch Special: Sun Drop

(Nerd) Lunch Special: Sun Drop

sundrop_bottleIn preparing for my recent movie watching spree with buddies, a 2 liter bottle of Sun Drop soda made it into my shopping cart. Sun Drop is a citrus flavored pop that until recently was only available in the Midwest. Dr. Pepper/Seven Up has decided to take the Sun Drop brand national and my local food mart was handing out freebies as part of the rollout.

Sun Drop’s main competitors are clearly Mountain Dew and Mello Yello. Interestingly enough, all three occupy different spots on the spectrum. Sun Drop has the most citrus flavor and bite, Dew is the least citrusy and smoothest drinking, and Mello Yello falls somewhere in the middle. My personal preference is still the silky smoothness of Mountain Dew, but those who prefer a bit more kick to the flavor, like Squirt, should definitely give Sun Drop a try.

By | 2017-03-17T02:59:03+00:00 April 16th, 2011|Categories: Article|Tags: , , |10 Comments

1. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks, Shag. Now that I know it's everywhere in Tallahassee, I know that it's actually worth leaving the house for a change to go out and get some.

2. The Irredeemable Shag February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Sun Drop is suddenly everywhere down here in Tallahassee! I did a little research and turns out Diet Sun Drop has one of the highest caffeine counts of any soda! Higher than Mountain Dew! Based upon your recommendation, I bought some for my role-playing group and we were silly-wired all night!

Check out this caffeine comparison:
    Diet Sun Drop – 69 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz
    Sun Drop – 63 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz
    Mountain Dew – 55 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz (same for Diet)
    Mello Yellow – 51 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz (same for Diet)
    Dr Pepper – 41 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz
    Coca-Cola Classic – 34 mg of Caffeine per 12 oz

Hooray for Diet Sun Drop! Thanks for the introduction!

The Irredeemable Shag

3. Gray Newman February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Actually Sun Drop was first bottled in Gastonia, NC back in the late 40's

4. Marlee February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5. Mr. San Francisco February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Holy crap, Jeeg! This isn't about Sun Drop, but I just blundered across this, and on the off chance you don't know about it, YOU MUST BE ENLIGHTENED! One word (okay, maybe two): http://www.luchavavoom.com. Take a shot of tequila, and dig in!

7. Kelsey February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I tried some diet sun drop and I liked it! But I still love my diet mountain dew 🙂

8. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks, Jeeg, very helpful. Now, if I can just find this stuff…

9. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I know of what you speak, Jack. The ingredients for Sun Drop (http://www.sundrop.com/products.php) lists orange juice concentrate and natural flavors, but nothing about grapefruit. There are even some articles published in the medical literature comparing effects of grapefruit juice and citrus sodas, but I'd probably contact the manufacturer directly or just steer clear if I was in that boat.

10. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeeg. I like a citrus kick in my non-cola drinks, so I may have to look into this. By the way, is there any form of grapefruit, extract, flavoring, etc. in it? This would be useful information to include, because older folks like myself often take medications that render grapefruit almost a death sentence. An odd fact that you youngsters haven't run into yet. It's weird, but it's bad.