208 Days

Home/Article/208 Days

208 Days

For those who don’t know, I am in grad school and have been since 2009. I am in my home stretch. If all goes according to plan, there are only…

I am long overdue for a re-reading of this modern classic tale and will make a point to read it again after graduating. This tale is so good that it is one of the reasons I stopped regularly reading comics. I mean, how can anything top this?! The cover for issue #3 contained every character who was ever a member of the JLA or the Avengers (208 total) as of the time of its release. Simply amazing.

By | 2017-03-17T00:52:49+00:00 October 3rd, 2011|Categories: Article|Tags: , , , |8 Comments

1. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Was all this coloring around the same time that Senator Tom Daschle ushered in peace between the Monkeys and Dolphins?

2. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey, if you find my file that would be cool.

It was really fun coloring. I also remember trying to learn all the names. There were a lot I didn't know about.

3. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I still have my Photoshop document. Not sure if I saved yours though. I never finished coloring mine. Once the official colored version came out, I never mustered up enough motivation to finish my own. And I also moved on from that job where I could get away with doing nothing but color all day.

4. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I fondly remembering coloring that with you in Photoshop. I lost those files. ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ But those were some good times because I remember us both working at pointless jobs and trying to eek out as much joy in the day as possible.

5. Christian February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I hope the wait until graduation day comes sooner than later so you can get out there and revolutionize the taxidermy industry.

6. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Sounds like a wild ride, and I can definitely see the attraction. When I was a kid, there were 4 detective shows, all part of the same franchise. From west to east, they were Hawaiian Eye (Hawaii), 77 Sunset Strip (Vegas), Bourbon Street Beat (N'awlins), and Surfside 6 (Miami). During the season, I barely kept up with them, but it seemed like the season finale of several years involved all four teams coming together on one team's turf because they were all chasing the same globe-trotting villian. Now, that was Must See TV!

Don't worry about jinxing yourself. What happens, happens, and the only way you can jinx yourself is to be inflexible. When I had my navy countdown going, I had no idea what I was going to do when I got out; the only focus was that I wanted out. I got out, many things weren't the way I thought they'd be, but I made it by being flexible. The Boy Scouts have it right: Be Prepared. Nothing else matters in this great big hairy world. What I always tried to instill in my kids (who are all around your age) was, Thrive in the Chaos, Turn on a Dime, and Make the Surprises Work for You. They're okay, too. As long as you don't lock yourself into one narrow path that you can't or won't abandon, you'll be all right.
    Didn't mean to upset you. You're a tourist here. You came with nothing, and you'll leave with nothing, so put your feet up, and enjoy the ride!

7. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Part of why I'm needing to read it again is that I can't remember all the beautiful details. Essentially, a Marvel villain finds a way to cause havoc for both the DC Comics and Marvel Comics universes looking to reset reality or some such. It's saturated in hidden details and continuity as the JLA and the Avengers first have to fight each other and then team up to save both worlds. It's a bit fan fictionesque, but it's exactly what I wanted from such a team up and more.

I hope these sporadic countdown posts serve as previews to topics to come in Year Six of Nerd Lunch. But like you say, there's no telling what will happen after 208 days from now. In fact, there's still a lot that can go wrong in the next 208 days. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by starting this countdown.

8. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Scary, huh? To have this wonderful thing you will achieve at exactly this point, but have no idea what might happen afterward? I started my countdown to get out of the navy at 1,457 days. It's like you can predict the future with a certain amount of stability up to this exact point, but on the other side of it, there are an infinite number of lines the timeflow might follow; and yet you can't wait to get there. Best of luck!

That cover is magnificent! Anything you can tell an uninitiated "civilian" about the book or background it supports?