(Nerd) Lunch Special: Jeeg’s Last Dance With The King

Home/Article/(Nerd) Lunch Special: Jeeg’s Last Dance With The King

(Nerd) Lunch Special: Jeeg’s Last Dance With The King

One more for the road...As I mentioned recently on the podcast, I followed through on my promise to have one last meal at Burger King. I thought I at least owed The King this “Dear John” post.

I never thought it would come to this. Sure I’ve been down this road before with Taco Bell, but that was different. Taco Bell and my digestive tract never got along and in 2001 I finally decided that the pleasures of the Baja Gordita weren’t worth the pain. There have been times when I have been tempted by The Bell, but never enough to return. Now my middle aged gut has betrayed me and we also must part ways, Burger King.

For our last dance I chose a Double Whopper combo meal and two Zantac 75 tablets. While it wasn’t the best Whopper I’ve ever had, I still found myself getting a little wistful. BK was the go-to fast food place for CT and me during our college years and the Whopper probably symbolizes our hossin’ experiences as much as anything except Mountain Dew. Sadly the nostalgia is more powerful than what I might miss about BK going forward. The Whopper and Croissan’Wich are the only items on the BK menu that appeal to me and with recent changes mostly aping McDonalds, it seems unlikely that would change in the near future.

Sorry, King. I’ll always treasure those times we had together, it’s time for both of us to move on.

By | 2017-03-17T02:58:31+00:00 July 22nd, 2012|Categories: Article|Tags: , , , , |9 Comments

1. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I would make an exception if I was literally starving, Robert, but otherwise I'd tough it out. And while I know of a few stretches of highway whose only food option is a truck stop BK, you're far more likely to run across highway exits with just a McDonald's or Subway.

I've not come across a Whopper Bar in my travels. The concept intrigues me but I doubt my stomach would like it any better.

2. Robert February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

What if you're driving on a lonely stretch of highway one night and you're starving and the only restaurant you come across is Burger King??

Also, have you eaten at a Whopper Bar? Maybe some beer would help (probably not).

3. Paxton February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Like Iron Eyes Cody, I shed a single bitter tear for you, Jeeg.

I recently went to BK to get one of the Olympic Bball cups. I hadn't been in one in probably 5 years (maybe more). I don't plan to return any time soon. They aren't as good as I remember.

4. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Taco Bell was on my chopping block for awhile, but recently I've found I can't get enough of the stuff and I haven't been feeling any ill effects.

5. WickedSteppMom February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I understand this all too well. The King has left me sitting on the throne all too often in the past few years, as has Wendy's. I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago & that likely plays a large role, though oddly enough, Taco Bell never has been a problem…real Mexican food on the other hand, I have to be very careful with. I do miss The King though…I have great memories of college, when groups of us would pile into someone's car & drive 45 minutes to the closest BK franchise because we went to Eastern Illinois University, which is next to Mattoon, IL-where the original Burger King restaurant is located: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_%28Mattoon,_Illinois%29

6. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Live well every day, and when you get to here, you'll find you don't really have that many regrets.

7. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Somewhere the Subservient Chicken is crying.

I know there's more of this coming, Jack, and that's what makes me sad. There are plenty of fast food fish in the sea for me right now, but that list only gets shorter from here on in.

8. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Oh, this is sad. Speaking as guy in my sixties who has recently been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I feel like I've died and been reincarnated in the midst of a bunch of food groups I've never heard of; if Jack in the Box didn't serve the Southwestern Salad, they wouldn't have seen me around for a couple of decades.

The saddest news of all is that this accelerates. "But you will learn, Grasshopper. You will learn…"

9. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

To paraphrase Ace Rimmer, "Eat me a Whopper, I'll be back for breakfast."