Nerd Lunch Podcast 4: Guilty Displeasures!

Home/Podcast/Nerd Lunch Podcast 4: Guilty Displeasures!

Nerd Lunch Podcast 4: Guilty Displeasures!

Nicole Wakelin joins the Nerds to expose some shocking revelations about nerdy franchises and icons that they feel they should like, but don’t. Star Trek: Voyager, The Watchmen, Stargate, and Game of Thrones are all on the hit list of at least one of the panelists. Plus we chat about Dr. Manhattan’s “little doctor” for the first and hopefully last time.

By | 2017-03-18T02:53:58+00:00 September 27th, 2011|Categories: Podcast|Tags: , , , , , , , , |9 Comments

1. Mrs. Dr. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I don't like the new Doctor Who much either. As a fiction nerd, it bugs me when they use the same storyline and theme over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. At least in the old Doctor Who, we had silly, obviously fake monsters and robots to spice things up. Yes, it was a sexist show, overall. Yes, I liked Rose in the new series. But Rose is gone, and the what's-her-bucket chronicles totally sucked, and I only watch the new Doctor when it's late at night and I can't stand to watch that episode of History Detectives one more time.

P.S. I love the Hobbit and cannot bring myself to read the self-indulgent, meandering Lord of the Rings again. Someone kill Tom Bombadil, kill him now. So creepy.

2. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks, Jeeg. I think I get this; check my assumptions: TOS and TNG were about this basically monolithic military society, represented by the Enterprise, marching in lockstep to glory (or whatever). DS9 forced a group of cultures who had no interest in each other's welfare to work in an uneasy alliance. As someone who has studied the craft of writing, I find this world much more interesting than the first two.

As I recall, I was following TNG, marvelling at how it was TOS done right, not just the FX, but the underlying society that produced the crew and culture. That franchise was used to introduce DS9 with its underlying hostilities, and races and cultures I had never encountered, and as I was struggling with my newly implemented shiftwork, my teenage sons being in various forms of trouble, and assimilating the new culture of DS9 itself, there started to come the advance "buzz" that Voyager would soon burst upon the scene with a whole new premise, characters, and conflicts to learn and follow. At that point, I decided that something had to go, so I cut DS9, followed TNG to the end, and cut Trek loose, thinking that I'd catch up some day. Well, thanks to your prodding, the day, while not here yet, is on the calendar, and I'm pretty sure that without all the outside pressures, including those from the franchise itself, I'll be able to relax and enjoy this. Thanks for prodding my cluttered memory!

3. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Be warned, Jack, DS9 does start off slow and at some points you'll probably wonder why CT and I like it so much. But all that character and world building completely pays off.

4. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Wouldn't it follow that the Trek I passed on was the quality one? Based on your recommendation, my friend, I'm going to put season 1 of DS9 on my list; I've come to learn that your opinions on TV shows are worthy of respect…

5. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I do feel bad about not liking Dr. Who (the episode is called Guilty Displeasures), but I will stand my ground. The new series IS pretentious and preachy. I'm done trying to get past that to enjoy the show, but the rest of you go on without me.

Glad you liked the latest episode, Jack. On DS9 Odo probably did have the most classic "stuggling to be human" character arc, but the show had a very different formula than TOS or TNG. The characters on DS9 are much more flawed, complex, and interesting than any other Trek series. If you have the time, you should definitely give DS9 a go. We'll undoubtedly have a whole podcast episode dedicated to it at some point.

6. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hi, guys. This was great, fun to listen to, and inclusive… It makes me want to put a whole post in your comment column, but I'll just go with a couple of points instead. First, my impression of the Hobbit is that it was aimed at kids around 12, the same audience more or less, as Harry Potter. He later developed that into the epic adult fantasy, Lord of the Rings. It's aimed at a whole different demographic, and has a whole different feel, so not unusual to like one and not the other. I favor LOTR myself; the Hobbit seems like a fluff piece. Second, something in the "genes" of Star Trek seems to make the oddball character the most attractive. In TOR it was Spock, the only regular alien in the cast. In TNG it as Data, the android. I can't speak to DS9, but I suspect it might have been Odo, at least before his shape-shifting effect became too expensive to do on a weekly basis. So no surprise that in STV it would be the holographic doctor. It's built into the way they write it.

Hi, Nicole! Enjoyed your participation, too. I'm going to swing by your site probably Friday after my schedule goes slack. Don't disappoint!

Great work, everyone. Thanks for taking the time…

7. Nicole Wakelin February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I'm still not over the Doctor Who thing. Who doesn't like The Doctor?! Pod people and replicants, that's who!!

8. Paxton February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Janay,

I may heed your advice because it's killing me thinking I have to read it.

9. Janay February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Paxton — Catch 22 — Don't read it.
    I had to read it in HS. It is the only book that made me so mad that literally I threw it across my bedroom.