Nerd Lunch Podcast 15: Brilliant but Canceled

Home/Podcast/Nerd Lunch Podcast 15: Brilliant but Canceled

Nerd Lunch Podcast 15: Brilliant but Canceled

Our original idea for Episode 15 was a great one, but it was shelved. Instead our old pal Fitz from Episode 8 returns to talk about great TV shows that were axed too soon. Of course Firefly and Arrested Development come up, but we delve into an interesting selection of other shows including nerd favorites Veronica Mars, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., and Cleopatra 2525 (huh?). Grab this episode now before the suits at The Atomic Geeks Podcasting Network get wind of our ratings.

By | 2017-03-18T03:42:24+00:00 December 14th, 2011|Categories: Podcast|Tags: , , , , , , |16 Comments

1. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Can we stay focused people . . . Cleopatra 2525 & Jack of All Trades!!!

CT, I would shake through the SpeedForce to get to your alternate reality!

Thanks every one for the Sherlock support. Will definitely try and watch it over the winter break.

2. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Given its age and brevity, M&M has quite a presence on YouTube. "Mann and Machine: Torch Song" will lead you to "5/5" which contains "I'm going to delay that," a shot of her hopping out of Mann's speeding car to get into that scene, and some interaction with Mann as they head into the credits.

Yes, Yancy had the lead in Witchblade. Also major roles in South Beach, Brooklyn South, The Mentalist, and Rage of the Yeti (?). Now that I look at her filmography, she might take a prominent role in a future post on "Series-Killers."

David Andrews should be well known to nerds with a body of work in such nerd-ish classics as Terminator 3, Nightmare on Elm Street, Graveyard Shift, and Apollo 13, to name just a few. Enjoy those clips, though they're bound to leave you hungry for more. The good news: A quick side trip just told me that the whole series is available on DVD. I know what my after-Christmas gift to myself is going to be!

So, 15 comments and counting! If this is any indicator, you need to turn this into an old-TV-show site!

3. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey Jack, I do not recall Mann & Machine. Sounds very interesting. My initial searching on it reveals that Yancy Butler was the lady robot. She went on to be the star of the short-lived series Witchblade based on the comic. Which is a series that started out strong but quickly fell apart.

Thanks for stopping by, Shag! I'd like to think that we've gotten quite a bit better since our first episode. I'm sure it was quite a difference between the two.

I've heard good things about Stargate Universe, but because of the word "Stargate," I never jumped on it. With you saying "Stargate Universe bore very little resemblance to the previous Stargate series" makes me both intrigued and not surprised that it didn't last. On SyFy, shows either die awesome or live to see themselves become lousy (to paraphrase The Dark Knight).

4. The Irredeemable Shag February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey Nerds! Shag here from the "Fire and Water Podcast" and one of the folks responsible for killing "Nerd Lunch the Web series".

I just checked out your Nerd Lunch podcast! I listened to episode #1 and followed it up with episode #15. Great show you've got here! I like your format of covering a topic in round-robin format.

In the "Brilliant but Canceled" train of thought, y'all covered most of my favorites. In fact, when Jeeg mentioned "The War Next Door" I started cheering! That was exactly the series I was thinking of! Loved that crazy show and miss it dearly. I've got a VCR tape somewhere around my house with a few grainy episodes on it. I can't find it anywhere online, so if you locate the series digitally, please give me a shout. Kriegman fans unite! I was also thinking of Pax's suggestion of "Journeyman". Great series with LOTS of potential (and much better than the bland Eric Bana in the similarly themed "Time Traveler's Wife").

One series that I would add is "Stargate Universe". This was an AMAZING series that only got two seasons. I know a lot of people passed judgement on SU without even watching, based upon their previous knowledge of Stargate. Well, Stargate Universe bore very little resemblance to the previous Stargate series. This was more like the reimagined Battlestar Galactica than like Stargate. Very dark, very edgy, very raw, and very dramatic. I've been watching it on Netflix and I find myself getting genuinely angry that this series got cut so short. Not fair.

And just for fun, a show that was Brilliant and SHOULD have been canceled is "Chuck". I was a huge Chuck fan in the first couple years. I was also part of the campaign to save the show. In hindsight, we should have let it die. Just my two cents.

Keep up the great work!

The Irredeemable Shag

5. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Finally got to it; a wonderful Christmas treat! A couple of fun points:

Bruce Campbell first came to my attention in Army of Darkness. When that skeleton climbs over the wall and shouts, "Ash! I've got a bone to pick with you!" that was the exact moment I became a life-long fan… After I got the milk out of my sinuses!

This was very good coverage of most everything, but fortunately you missed a favorite of mine, so I get to cover it here: Mann and Machine. Ran for 9 episodes on NBC in 1992, so you were maybe too young. Created by Dick Wolf and Robert de Laurentis, this brief series was an early vehicle for Yancy Butler as Eve Edison, a perfectly human-looking Robo-cop. Set in the near future, i.e., now, the police were disciplined like a SEAL team, marching in lockstep to a crime-free utopia. Eve is assigned to Bobby Mann (David Andrews), an old-school maverick who follows his gut, for insight into what makes humans tick. There were some great touches: they're interviewing a suspect, a big-shot in his lavish office. Mann asks for a drink, and when the guy steps out to get him a bottle of water (if memory serves), Eve lifts up her shades and pops out her eyeball, which she then stashes in a potted plant as a surveillance camera; Mann about pukes. "What's the matter?" she asks. "I have over a dozen pairs."
    There is a scene where she makes a deadpan suggestionm of sex as a relaxing agent when an agitated Mann has been marked for a hit; and an episode where she takes revenge on the killer of a woman she had begun to develop a rapport with. "This is normally where I would ask for your surrender," she tells him, "but I'm going to delay that." She then proceeds to use the guy's body to lay waste to his expensive home. Mann came first in the title, but the show was definitely about the Machine. Just about the time she was developing a humanistic persona, zap, gone. 20 years later, I still hate that. As a little cherry on top, their boss was played by S. Epatha Merkerson, who played the almost identical role years later in Dick Wolf's Law & Order.

A candidate for next year's update might be Grimm, though I hope not. I didn't realize until I did some Wiki work today that there are 170 Grimm's Fairy Tales, so they have about 7 seasons worth of original material. The two questions are, can they keep the quality and "wow" factor up for that long, and does NBC have 7 seasons worth of patience.

Anyway, great job, guys, one of my favorite episodes to date. More…more…MORE!

6. Chrisloc1701 February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Great Episode yet again guys. Had some shows myself I thought should have been given a chance:

– Would have been interesting to see a 4th season of Star Trek: The Original Series.

– I was never a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise, but I did watch some episodes from the 4th season and I felt they were starting to become something special, then they were cancelled. Would like to have seen that series have a second chance.

– The Babylon 5 spin-off series 'Crusade' was an interesting show with some very cool characters, but I think they only made 14 episodes before they pulled the plug. Gary Cole as the Captain was very cool. Would like to have seen that series reach a conclusion. I know JMS had a 5 year arc planned for it, and we would have seen the return of Walter Koenig as the ex-psi cop Bester.

– There are 3 comedies on TV I loved that never saw it past season 1. In 1999-2000 NBC had a comedy called 'Stark Raving Mad' starring Tony Schalhoub ('Monk', 'Wings') as a famous yet slightly crazy mad horror writer suffering from writers block named 'Stark', and Neil Patrick Harris as the straight man book editor forced to work with this lunatic by the publishing company because they want a new book asap. It ran for 22 episodes and I loved it. I watched every week then it just never got renewed…Had NBC foreseen both actors later success I think they would have kept it. Great funny show!! Also in 1995 the UPN network had 2 comedies I loved to watch every week but they too never got renewed for a second season: 'Pig Sty' about a bunch of dudes renting a large apartment with a very hot female super. 'Platypus Man' starring the late Richard Jenni in the title role about a guy who hosts a cooking TV series. Both shows were great fun to watch and it was a shame they got cancelled.

– I very much enjoyed the updated 2002 'He-Man and the Masters Of The Universe' series, which only last 1 and a half seasons. Apparently they too had some great stuff planned including a war with Hordak and the Horrde in season 3, which would have seen He-Man & Skeletor teaming up to defeat a common foe. it was a great show that should never have been cancelled.

– The X-Files spin-off 'Lone Gunman' starring the guest stars of the X-Files who are nerd conspiracy theorists who are friends of Agent Mulder's. FOX gave theses Canadian dudes their own show as a mid-season series and it never made it past season 1. This was a great show and I watched every week. It made its debut in January 2001 and ironically the first episode featured a plot about a sinister group of Government agents hacking into a planes computer system to force the plane to crash into the World Trade Centre…. 9 months BEFORE 9/11!!!!!!!!!!! This was actually probably why their series got cancelled. During that point in American history it was not patriotic to question the Government in the wake of tragedy, and this series was mostly about Government and/or industry conspiracy's.

7. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Well, imagery was the best part of Cleopatra 2525.

I'll third the opinions on Sherlock, Fitz. I wrote about the premiere episode (http://nerdlunch.blogspot.com/2010/10/sherlock.html) not long after it came out. All three episodes of season 1 were good. According to my PBS membership magazine, season 2 of Sherlock will air in May 2012.

8. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Agreed. Sherlock is worth watching. I thought the first episode of the three (I mean, it's jut three at this point) was considerably strong. The other two were good as well. I think it's due back very soon for another set of shows. Or maybe it's already back with a new set of shows. Point is, watch it!

9. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Fitz – We (the whole Tyler Gang) love the new Sherlock. It brilliantly incorporates Sherlock's use of the internet, tweets, camera phones and what-all into the original premise of him simply noticing things that ordinary mooks overlook. Definitely check it out, from the beginning if you have access, as it's useful to know where Watson comes from.

CT & Co. I haven't had a free hour to myself to listen yet. Will soon, and put my 2c in. I loved Cleo (or maybe it was Victoria Pratt; what's not to love about a big athletic blonde who can kick your A$$?) See you soon…

– Jack

10. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Speaking of new friends . . . anybody watching Sherlock Holmes (BBC)? Is it worth watching?

11. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Me too CT. Really, I have moved on. I just have this huge nostalgia for The Verse! If any show really stuck with me it is Firefly. I just haven't seen any science fiction shows that good any more. BSG was good, but not the same. I have missed the Dr. Who train and don't know if I want to ride.

Everything came together for Firefly. I miss it like an old friend. No matter how long we haven't seen each other – it is just natural when we finally do. And like any friend, I miss the great times we had together and wish we could have had more, but I have moved on. I have new friends, not the same, definitely different, but I still miss my old friends.

FORT Forever!!!!

12. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

With all of our drama about it getting caught in the matrix and the last minute topic change, I didn't take the time to create a better graphic for the blog post. Sorry Pax.

As for Firefly…I loved the show dearly. But I have moved on. Very similar to what Pax and I were saying about Arrested Development. I don't actually want this to come back. At least not as a series. Maybe another movie would be welcome, but at this point, it is what it is. Too bad we're not in the alternate reality where Conan is still the host of the Tonight Show and Firefly ran seven seasons. I imagine that's a real nice place to live.

13. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Look at what I found . . .

Could Firefly really come back? If nothing else, it was good to see these people all back together.

14. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Come on Pax, the Double Action Hour was a BLAST! I guess you right though, it probably does belong in the guilty pleasures podcast.

15. Paxton February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I can't believe you used an image from Cleopatra 2525 for this article.

16. Fitz February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

YES! Cleopatra 2525!!! What potential! What panache! Thank you for using it as the image for this podcast.