Nerd Lunch Podcast 26: Memories of Retro Technology

Home/Podcast/Nerd Lunch Podcast 26: Memories of Retro Technology

Nerd Lunch Podcast 26: Memories of Retro Technology

On this week’s episode we turn our attention to some of the technology that was cutting edge during our youths. We’re joined by the best retro expert we could ask for, The Retroist himself. During our conversation we stroll past all manner of tech gravestones including the Kodak Disc camera, Atari 2600, audio cassettes, the VCR, and the Super Bowl Shuffle (huh?). In our Nerd To-Do’s, we learn a little about table-top wargaming and find out which nerd is attempting to assemble the Young Justice version of the Hall of Justice.

By | 2017-03-18T03:49:14+00:00 February 28th, 2012|Categories: Podcast|Tags: , , , , , |8 Comments

1. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Real, authentical fratboys? Can't say. She attended college before we met, worked her whole career with lots of young sailors, who often bring unusual views and customs from all over the country, and lived in a house that I kept overrun with wargamers and RPGers for the first 15 years of our marriage, so, using the term in the sense of Animal House or The Big Bang Theory, yeah, she has. Don't take it too hard, though; she thinks you're adorable!

2. Jeeg February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

You know, I've been playing the podcast with the joystick rather than the paddle controllers. That might explain a lot.

Jack, your wife's notion of frat boys intrigues me as well. Has she met any actual fratboys?

Justin, I personally think the Zune software is infinitely better than iTunes, but you can't argue that it has been a success. Try not to get so upset about what random people on the Internet think of your choice in entertainment services.

3. Matthew Mayer February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

If you really do have some old film lying around get it processed soon. Recently the last lab in the world to process Kodachrome slide film stopped accepting it. Now I'll never know what's on that roll of film.

4. Justin February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

"the Kmart of podcasting resources.."?

Hey, very professional guys. Try not to belittle people's choice in entertainment services.

5. Chrisloc1701 February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Great episode guys, this is a subject that definitely could come back in a future episode. Would love to hear your thoughts exclusively on old gaming systems and the games you all played. Also arcades are a dying business, loved actually going out and playing arcade games and pinball. But with the popularity of home game systems the arcades died out. Kinda sad.

6. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Uh oh! I'm sure we'll be hearing from Jeeg shortly…

Since you're still in possession, if you'd like to take a look, it's http://www.deutscheoptik.com. He has lots of other odds and ends, but mostly vintage cameras, binoculars, and other things with, you know, optics.

You're probably just getting into the concept, but the older you get, the more fun this stuff becomes (sort of akin to, "The older I get, the better I was!").

7. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

First off, I love that your wife thinks that we're a bunch of frat boys. That only describes Jeeg.

I do still have some of the cameras in my possession along with some other camera accessories. I wish I could figure out a way to continue using the lens, but alas, they don't work on the newer cameras.

Thanks for the feedback. This was an episode I personally had fun doing. The Retroist was great and I look forward to having him on again someday soon.

8. Jack February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Wooooowwww! Here's how good this was: My wife, who thinks you're all a bunch of fratboys, pulled up a chair and got into everything. For my part, I'm going to copy this to put on the retroist's comment bar, so if it seems a little disjointed, that's why.

First of all, you kids need to lighten up about being able to remember not having a microwave; I'm so old, I remember not having an oven.

Cameras: I just joined the digital era during the past year. For a long time I was hung up on an Argus stereoscopic camera. The finished pictures came back looking like two shots of the same thing side by side, then you put it into the viewer where you could view it in 3-D, like the old Viewmaster toy. The thing I REALLY like about digital is that you can look at the little screen, see if you blew the shot, and immediately take another (as opposed to waiting until you get home from the Grand Canyon to find out you had your thumb over the lens). If you still have any of those old cameras, CT, take care of them. I get a catalog once in while from Deutsche Optik (spelling issue) that sells refurbished old cameras from the mid-20th century. Some of them are worth thousands.

Anybody want to compare goofy looks in old photos? My heyday was the 60s, and every one of us could have made up a name and worked as a clown without changing one piece of clothing.

Finally, games. We used to play wargames, as in Avalon Hill products, et al, and also used toy ships and airplanes to fight battles with structure that we "ported" from the games; sort of reinvented miniatures, I guess. Anyway, we used to think that games would go electronic in the future, but envisioned remote controlled fleets and armies that each player would give general orders to from a console, which would then attempt to carry them out against the opponent's strategy that was being implemented by his console. Guess that would have been the steampunk version…

Anyway, y'all chew on that while I head over to visit the Retroist. Great job, guys, this installment was really exceptional!