Nerd Lunch Podcast 29: Little Big Star Wars Characters

Home/Podcast/Nerd Lunch Podcast 29: Little Big Star Wars Characters

Nerd Lunch Podcast 29: Little Big Star Wars Characters

Chris (@drquest on Twitter) from the What To Watch and Stuff We Like podcasts climbs aboard our Lambda class shuttle for the 29th episode of Nerd Lunch. After playing a little dream interpretation theater with Pax, we continue a discussion that started on the Cavalcade of Awesome about those Star Wars characters that are immensely popular yet had very little to do in the movies. You know who were talking about: Admiral Ackbar, R5-D4, the bounty hunters from Empire, and even Darth Maul. What is it about the Star Wars universe or fandom that has led to these characters being fan favorites and will Jeeg have his nerd card revoked for even asking this question?  In this week’s Nerd To-Do’s, we learn about an epic quest to watch all 700 episodes of a TV show and hear what lengths Pax will go to watch the unreleased Solomon Kane movie.

By | 2017-03-18T03:54:39+00:00 March 20th, 2012|Categories: Podcast|Tags: , , , , |6 Comments

1. Chrisloc1701 February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Actually my like of Ackbar came from the 'Thrawn Trilogy' novels by Timothy Zahn. He just seemed like a nice guy even though he was being caught up in political in-fighting. As a kid I thought he was a neat looking character and I wanted to know more about him and his people. When I saw that Ackbar T-shirt at the Calgary Con last year I had to buy it.

2. Jason - GBNF Manager February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I too was one of those kids who grew up not really caring about Star Wars. I only had older sisters, and my dad wasn't into nerdy stuff (though I do remember watching Dr. Who with him a few times, so maybe he was hiding his inner nerd), so it wasn't ever on my radar. Jedi was the first one that showed up as a blip on my radar when my family when to see it in theaters. But I never had the toys, I was a strict GI Joe kid. I remember a buddy of mine in gradeschool had an AT-AT, but we always used it as a new Weapon designed by Cobra, and any Star Wars figures he had became background characters in our GI Joe battles. I don't think I became fully aware of the Star Wars Universe until about 1988 when I met my buddy Adam, who's older brother was a HUGE Star Wars nerd, so that was my first exposure to the movies/toys and comics. But by then, it didn't really effect me like it would have had it been part of my childhood. Do I feel like I missed out? Not really. It's kind of fun to watch people flip out over Taco Bell Star Wars promos and shake my head.

3. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I'm curious Chris if your Ackbar love also came during the original release time frame or later on.

I don't remember seeing Yaddle in the movies, but then I haven't watched a couple of those prequel movies since the original release.

4. Chrisloc1701 February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I love Admiral Ackbar so much I bought a T-Shirt with his face on it at the Calgary Comic Con last summer. Also prior to the 1999 release of The Phantom Menace I bought a preview book and a character listed and pictured in the book was 'Yaddle', a female Jedi from the same species as 'Yoda'. She was a member of the Jedi Council. But I have never seen her on screen, and I was looking forward to seeing her and hoped she would play a big role in the film, which like Darth Maul she didn't.

5. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Thanks for the comment, Shawn. I really felt like Ackbar was one of those guys who emerged as a "face" of Return but I couldn't articulate why that was. You hit it on the head perfectly.

As I had said on the show, I just liked getting mail as a kid so Ackbar, Nien Nunb, and the Emperor stand out to me as fun characters because I got them in the mail for little more than cutting up the backs of other action figure cards and mailing them away. In a world with expensive subscription figures and convention exclusives, the practice of truly rewarding long-time collectors is almost completely gone. (I've complained about this on the podcast before.)

While Ackbar clearly is more than that to you, to me he's one of a few representatives of a better time in action figures (even if the figure wasn't able to fit in an X-Wing cockpit).

6. Shawn Robare February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Let me just say that I am an old school Admiral Ackbar fan. I think a lot of where his fame comes from is that aside from Chewie, Yoda and the Ewoks, Ackbar is one of the few non-human, non-droid hero characters in the original trilogy. The make-up effects for the character were also really cool. If you look back at the merchandising that came out around '83, Ackbar was prominently featured on all kinds of products from toys to erasers, tooth brushes to cookies (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/2303506155/). When the official star wars encyclopedia came out in the early 90s, another boost to his popularity came when it was revealed that the Mon Calamari as a race were responsible for crafting many of the Rebel spaceships as well, from the B-Wings to the A-Wings.