Nerd Lunch Podcast 72: Kid’s TV Shows

Home/Podcast/Nerd Lunch Podcast 72: Kid’s TV Shows

Nerd Lunch Podcast 72: Kid’s TV Shows

Once again Jeegless, this week Pax and CT are joined by Tim Lybarger of the Neighborhood Archive.  Tim is here to discuss live-action kids’ TV shows.  We discuss our favorites and our not-so favorites.  Some of the shows discussed include Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mr Rogers, Reading Rainbow, 3-2-1 Contact and many, many more.  Nerd To Dos include Eerie Indiana, Red Dwarf, The Hobbit, Ted and Ghost Writer.

By | 2017-03-18T14:49:50+00:00 February 12th, 2013|Categories: Podcast|Tags: , , , , , |7 Comments

1. Jason - GBNF Manager February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Just listened to this show guys – ahhh…sweet memories. I was glad to hear a mention of "The Polkadot Door. I used to watch that show all the time growing up and can still sing the theme song. 3 that you guys might have had on your list but not mentioned that were on my list – Zoobilee Zoo, Captain Kangaroo and Picture Pages – who can forget Cosby and Mortimer the Pen? Anyway, great show. And I did a little digging, and I actually have episodes of Today's Special, 321 Contact, Reading Rainbow, Square One, Bozo (with original commercials), Zoobilee Zoo, Picture pages, Mr. Wizard, as well as some other regional stuff (anyone from the North East remember The Captain Bob Cottle Show?) I love hunting down old kids shows…so many memories. Let me know if you'd like to see any of them. Great show guys!

2. Shawn Robare February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Doug – It wasn't Romper Room was it?

3. Doug February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Would have been late 70s/early 80s. Pretty sure it was a PBS show. We watched it in school.

4. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Doesn't ring a bell for me. What part of the country were you in when you saw it? Like we mentioned on the show, there are some of these shows that are regional. Not saying this was, but maybe that additional information could help us track it down.

Was it 70s? 80s?

5. Doug February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey Guys, There is a show in the very distant part of my memory that had a TV set theme. At the end,there was a song that said something like, "Cut the camera and fade away." It was kind of bittersweet. Nobody remembers what this show was. Any ideas?

Doug

6. CT February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey Benjamin, thanks for stopping by. I have read that there was a spin-off Eerie, but it does not appear to be on Netflix. I did enjoy the original series quite a bit. Glad to hear that the second one is worth checking out, too. I'll have to track it down.

After listening to our show again, I realized our picks were very U.S.-centric due to the three of us on the show growing up in the U.S. I wondered how much of what we mentioned would resonate with non-U.S. citizens and what we missed that we never would have known about. We might have to figure out how to do an international version of this discussion someday. Or maybe suggest that The Atomic Geeks do a similar discussion so we can get their thoughts on Mr. Dressup and whatever else there is we wouldn't know about.

7. Benjamin Lund February 25, 2017 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Hey, just listened to your latest episode and had to add a little information. I was super excited to hear that someone else had rediscovered Eerie Indiana. I recently stumbled upon it and was super excited to watch the old episodes again. I don't know if it is on Netflix but there was a spin-off called Eerie, Indiana: The Other dimemsion. It's basically Eerie, season 2. As well Eerie led me to another forgotten TV show in the same vein called 'round the twist. A tv show from Australia that dealt with strange happenings involving a haunted lighthouse. I find my shows using some un-netflix ways, but if you can find them, I encourage you to give you a try.
    Now the real reason I had to write in; since you live in the US, you can be forgiven for not knowing of Mr. Dressup, but ask any Canadian and they will love to tell you about this mainstay of Canadian culture, many generations of kids grew up with him alongside sesame street and other shows. Ask your Atomic geek partners and they will be sure to tell you all about him. Just had to write in and provide a canadian perspective on some TV shows that you missed out on.
    Love the show.